Welcome to the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS)
IMPORTANT: Advance notice of update to IRAS v5.2 – information for users about update and expected system availability.
From 30 November HRA Approval will be extended to a broad range of studies other than clinical trials or investigations. Advance applicant guidance, for those preparing for applications from 30 November onwards has been published.
IRAS will not be available to users from 19.00-21.00 GMT on 29 November 2015 while IRAS is updated to v5.2 to include changes to support the next phase of roll out of HRA Approval. Please refer to the Updates page for information on how this version release may impact your existing project(s).
9 October 2015: IRAS updated to v5.1. This version includes: a substantial revision of the application for the National Offender Management Service (NOMS), which affects e-authorisations for this form; revision of check box options for questions A36 and A72 of the integrated dataset; and updates to the Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) form checklist. All users should go to the Updates page for more information.
10 August 2015: IRAS updated to v5.0. This version adds a new combined application form for projects seeking HRA Approval and includes revisions to question A68-2, which is enabled in projects that are eligible or potentially eligible for NIHR CRN portfolio. You are strongly advised to refer to the Updates page for more information.
11 May 2015: HRA Approval now available
for health services research studies in England involving NHS staff as
participants. HRA Approval, which is the new approval that will be required for research to commence in the NHS in England, is being implemented in phases. From today, studies within the scope
of the first phase may apply through this new process. Please refer to the guidance for applicants on the HRA website for more information.
|The Integrated Research Application System (IRAS):|
IRAS captures the information needed for the relevant approvals from the following review bodies:
- Is a single system for applying for the permissions and approvals for health and social care / community care research in the UK
- Enables you to enter the information about your project once instead of duplicating information in separate application forms
- Uses filters to ensure that the data collected and collated is appropriate to the type of study, and consequently the permissions and approvals required
- Helps you to meet regulatory and governance requirements
Please help us to improve IRAS by sending your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your comments and suggestions will be included in the next review of the system.
- Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC)
- Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG)
- Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (GTAC)
- Health Research Authority (HRA) for projects seeking HRA Approval
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
- NHS / HSC R&D offices
- NHS / HSC Research Ethics Committees
- National Offender Management Service (NOMS)
- Social Care Research Ethics Committee